FIRST REGIMENT MISSISSIPPI COLORED CAVALRY
First Regiment Mississippi Colored Cavalry
Designation of Regiment changed to 3rd U. S. Colored Cavalry March 11, 1864
Researched and Compiled by Bennie J. McRae, Jr.
- Organized at Vicksburg, Mississippi, October 9, 1863
- Attached to 1st Brigade, United States Colored Troops, District of Vicksburg, Miss., Dept. of the Tennessee, to April, 1864.
- Winslow's Cavalry Brigade, District of Vicksburg, to December, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee. to January, 1865.
- Unattached Cavalry, District of West Tennessee to June, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee, to January, 1866.
NOTE: The 1st Mississippi Cavalry (African Descent) was organized October 9, 1863 to March 1, 1864 at Vicksburg, Mississippi.
- Duty at Vicksburg, Miss., and in that District till December, 1864.
- Action at Roach's Plantation, Miss., March 30.
- Columbus, Ky., April 11 and 13 (Detachment).
- Expedition from Haines' Bluff up Yazoo River April 19-23.
- Near Mechanicsburg April 20.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City May 4-21.
- Benton May 7 and 9.
- Yazoo City May 13.
- Near Vicksburg June 4.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Pearl River July 2-10.
- Jackson July 7.
- Utica July 13.
- Grand Gulf July 16.
- Bayou Tensas, La, August 26.
- Expedition from Goodrich Landing to Bayou Macon August 28-31.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Deer Creek September 21-26.
- Near Rolling Fork September 22-23.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Rodney and Fayette September 29-October 3.
- Expedition from Natchez to Woodville October 4-11.
- Fort Adams October 5.
- Woodville October 5-6.
- Operations in Issaqueena and Washington Counties October 21-31.
- Steele'e Bayou October 23.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Gaines' Landing, Ark., and Bayou Macon, La, November 6-8.
- Rolling Fork November 11.
- Expedition from Vicksburg to Yazoo City November 23- December 4.
- Big Black River Bridge November 27.
- Moved to Memphis, Tenn.
- Grierson's Expedition from Memphis, Tenn., to destroy Mobile & Ohio Railroad December 21, 1864-Jannary 5, 1865.
- Franklin Creek December 21- 22, 1864.
- Okolona December 27.
- Egypt Station. December 28.
- Franklin January 2, 1885.
- Moved to Memphis from Vicksburg, Miss., January 5-10.
- Duty at Memphis and in District of West Tennessee till April.
- Expedition from Memphis to Brownsville, Miss., April 23-26.
- Moved to Vicksburg April 29-May 1 and operating about Natchez for the capture of Jeff Davis May.
- Operations about Fort Adams May 3-6.
- Duty in District of West Tennessee and Dept. of Mississippi till January, 1866.
- Mustered out January 26, 1866.
Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
Frederick H. Dyer. A COMPENDIUM OF THE WAR OF THE REBELLION. 3 Volumes. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
William A.Gladstone. MEN OF COLOR. Gettysburg: Thomas Publications, 1993.
United States War Department. THE WAR OF THE REBELLION: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. 128 Volumes. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1880-1901.
Bennie J. McRae, Jr.