25th Army Corps
GENERAL ORDERS ESTABLISHING THE XXV U.S. ARMY CORPS
|GENERAL ORDERS, No. 297
WAR DEPARTMENT, ADJUTANT GENERAL'S OFFICE
Washington, December 3, 1864
By direction of the President of the United States the following changes will be made in the organization of the Army of the James:
- The Tenth and Eighteenth Army Corps will be discontinued.
- The white infantry troops of the Tenth and Eighteenth Army Corps now with the Army of the James will be consolidated under the direction of the major-general commanding the Department of Virginia and North Carolina, and will constitute a new corps, to be called the Twenty-fourth Corps.
- The colored troops of the Department of Virginia and North Carolina will be organized into a new corps, to be called the Twenty-fifth Corps.
- The present corps staff and the artillery of the Eighteenth Corps will be transferred to the Twenty-fourth, and the present corps staff and artillery of the Tenth to the Twenty-fifth Corps.
- Maj. Gen. E.O.C. Ord is assigned to the command of the Twenty-fourth Corps, and Maj. Gen. G. Weitzel to the command of the Twenty-fifth Corps.
By order of the Secretary of War:
[CIVIL WAR HOMEPAGE]
[LEST WE FORGET]
Researched and Compiled
Bennie J. McRae, Jr.
visitors since June 12, 2009
North Carolina ,
25TH ARMY CORPS
Related Topics / Keywords / Phrases:
Army of the James,